Wednesday, April 5, 2017

IMAGI E ME G NE, by Adam Haslett

It took my friend Audrey one second to see that the missing letters spelled NO.

Now THAT.  Is a brilliant cover/title.

And this man...oh, this man will take you on a serious (and also very funny) ride and he will break your heart.  I know, that doesn't sound like the kind of review that makes you wanna run out (ie, go to Amazon) and git a hold of it, but it DOES mean that this writer does, and will, get under your skin. And a writer who can't get under your skin -- well, I call them page turners.

No that isn't fair.  An emotionally compelling book will keep me up until it's done.

And anyway I'm not here to bag on genre, or anybody else's taste.  Anybody reading a book makes me happy!  Sitting at the DMV a few months ago (and I gotta go back again, I musta been really really bad recently for THAT kind of K(c)arma!, the woman next to me looked up from her newspaper and said, We are the only people reading here.  And it was true.  Everyone else was staring at their phones.  And YES maybe they were on Kindle.  But I doubt it.

Okay enough ranting...

Here he is:

'The rock is mute and still in the encroaching summer heat.  It has the inhuman patience of objects.  A reminder that mineral time does not care for sentiment, or life.  Every human thing, a ruin in waiting.  On a planet that is a ruin in waiting.  Which says nothing about divinity, one way or the other.  I only know that this trial is what has become of my sliver of time.'




No comments:

Post a Comment